38g Plain Flour
195ml Milk(I use Meiji Fresh Milk)
250g Unsalted Butter
35g Caster Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
6 Gel Colors (Chefmaster/Americolor)
Matcha Powder/Cocoa Powder/Flavor Essence/Fruit Powder
1. Prepare the roux/flour paste. In a pan/pot, add in the sifted plain flour and milk, stir till flour is dissolved and cook over low heat. Keep stirring and switch off heat when you don’t see any liquid, the mixture will become a thick paste texture. You can prepare ahead and chill in fridge(not freezer), cover with cling wrap. The paste needs to be cold.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the cold unsalted butter(I cut into cubes for easy mixing) with caster sugar till pale and fluffy.
3. Add in half of the chilled roux, beat till combined and mix in the remaining half. The mixture will become a smooth buttercream.
4. I weigh the buttercream, total is around 480g, each color uses 80g. You can just use one bowl to mix the colors, starting from yellow, orange, red, green, blue, purple. Fill each color into piping bags.
5. Pipe the 6 colors onto a piece of cling wrap. Twist both ends. Slot into a big piping bag and cut a hole(cut together the piping bag+cling wrap end). Using another large piping bag, put in your preferred piping tip, put in the buttercream bag and start piping.
*The buttercream is light and fluffy, melts in mouth but stable at room temperature, sweetness/flavors can be adjusted to your own preferences. Freeze up to 3 months.