(Makes 8 Pieces 85g Mooncakes):
120g Plain Flour
32g Unsalted Butter(can use lard)
12g Caster Sugar
80g Top Flour(Cake Flour also can)
45g Unsalted Butter
4 Desired Gel Food Colors
8 Pieces Salted Yolk(steam with sesame oil if using raw ones)
Any Mooncake Paste
Optional Pork/Chicken Floss/Sesame Seeds
Total weight for one ball of filling
1. Put all the water dough ingredients into a stand mixer(I hand kneaded) and knead till a smooth dough is formed. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll into balls. Set aside, use cling wrap to cover to prevent drying out.
2. In another bowl, mix in oil dough ingredients to form a dough(except for colors). You can hand knead no need mixer.
Divide into 4 portions, each portion add in a small amount of gel color (use a toothpick so won’t over add, lighter will look nicer)
Once color evenly combined, each color to divide into 8 small balls, set aside under cling wrap.
3. Take one piece of the water dough ball, flatten, place 4 different colored balls into the centre, wrap and seal the seams.
The sealed portion is facing down onto the plate, repeat for the remaining, remember to put under cling wrap.
4. See the photos in my Facebook for the detailed rolling steps: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159441768211597&id=697781596
Take out the first two balls, using a rolling pin and silicone mat to flatten each piece(don’t need to be too thin at this point) into long rectangles.
Overlap one piece over the other piece(alternating colors, don’t overlap the same colors together)
5. Roll to combine the two pieces together.
From the longest length side, roll up tightly to form a long roll and flatten with rolling pin.
This time roll up from the shorter side.
Repeat with the remaining, total will have 4 rolls. Cut each roll into half and u will get 8 pieces.
6. The cut side will be place downwards, u can flatten with ur palm evenly into a circle.(needs to be bigger than the filling to wrap easily)
The part which u flatten is where u place your ball of filling into the centre, seal the seams.
U can press in sesame seeds at the seam part, will have a fragrant and crunchy base.
7. Bake in a Preheated Oven @ 170 Degrees for 30 mins.
I use my Rowenta 7868 Top and Bottom Heat only at bottom rack.
Different ovens temperature might differ, u can cover the top heat with a baking pan to prevent browning towards the last ten mins to retain the rainbow colors!