180g plain flour
225g caster sugar
60g cocoa powder
6g baking powder(I use clabber girl double acting)
6g baking soda
140 ml of milk
130 ml of strong, hot coffee(I use dolce gusto espresso intenso)
75 ml of vegetable oil
2 eggs, room temperature
15 ml of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line three 6-inch round cake tins with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.(no need to sift sugar)
3. Using the paddle attachment on the mixer, mix the dry ingredients on medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. In another bowl, add eggs, milk, vanilla extract and vegetable oil and mix lightly with hand whisk.
5. Pour into dry ingredients and mix in 3 batches. Then pour in hot coffee and mix till combined.
6. Evenly divide the mixture between the three pans using an electronic scale, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
7. Rotate the pans in the oven, and continue baking for about another ten minutes. The cakes are ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs.
8. Cool the cake layers on a wired rack for 15 minutes, turning them out to completely cool. If the cakes are domed, you may try to use a clean tea towel to gently push down on the dome to flatten it immediately after they have come out of the oven. Or you can also freeze the cakes and slice off the dome tops to have even cake height.