(Recipe for 7-8 inch Chiffon Cake or 24 cupcakes)
5 Egg Whites(Cold from fridge)
80g Caster Sugar
1. Beat cold egg whites to beer foam stage using hand mixer, add in with 1/2 of the caster sugar and beat till soft peaks, then add in remaining and beat till stiff peaks, set aside.
100g Coconut cream(I use Kara)
50g Canola oil(any veg oil)
80g Cake Flour
15g Purple Sweet Potato Powder
5 Egg Yolks
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Sift together cake flour & purple sweet potato powder, set aside.
2. In a bowl pour in coconut cream, canola oil & egg yolks and stir till combined. Fold in flour mixture and mix evenly but don’t overmix.
Lightly mix in lemon juice. Lemon juice is to prevent oxidation of the purple potato, if u want to omit also can, cake will be blue instead of purple.
3. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites(stiff peaks) to purple potato mixture then pour the mixed batter into the bowl of remaining egg whites. Fold till well mixed but remember don’t overmix will deflate the batter. Pour into chiffon pan/cupcake liners 3/4 full and bang pan onto counter top 3 times.
4. Bake in preheated oven 140 degrees for 30 mins and increase temperature to 150 degrees to bake for another 25 mins. Cake is ready when top springs back when u press it.
For Cupcakes use 130 degrees for 25 mins increase to 150 degrees to bake for another 15 min.
Bang the cakes on countertop to prevent shrinking when they are out of the oven.
I’m using Rowenta oven 7868 bottom rack, top and bottom heat only. Invert pan to cool onto cooling rack or on a bottle. Use a cake removal tool to loosen sides to easily remove cake from pan.
* Note: Different ovens have different temperature and settings. If your oven temperature is hotter, reduce temperature and bake longer. Don’t use fan mode for chiffon cakes as inside might not be cooked in the given time. Don’t use non stick pan, don’t line your pan with baking paper.