300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder(I use 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder(I used Hershey’s)
160g unsalted butter room temperature
240g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk+1 tablespoon lemon juice(set aside)
1/2 tsp red color paste (I used Americolor)
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa together in a bowl.
3. Add red color paste to milk+lemon juice mixture and set aside.
4. Using mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 by 1, followed by vanilla extract until combined.
5. With the mixer on low, add the flour and milk mixture in 3 additions. Mix until evenly combined.
6. Combine vinegar and baking soda in a small bowl and quickly add to the batter and fold until evenly incorporated.
7. Pour into the cupcake cups 1/2 full and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 25mins. I use my Rowenta oven fan mode bottom heat. Cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese frosting
300g cream cheese, at room temperature
80g butter, at room temperature
140g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
1. Beat cream cheese and butter till light and creamy.
2. Add in icing sugar and mix till well combined.
3. Mix in lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Pour into piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes and refrigerate.